<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, November 20, 2003

This is a very interesting article. I came across it this afternoon. Within it, Richard Hays chronicles aspects of his theological development. He particularly focuses upon his relationship with the radical wing of the Reformation. I found his comments on baptism especially interesting, although I would like to know why he remains credobaptist. Like Hays, I appreciate a number of the insights of the radical Reformation. I appreciate the emphasis on community and discipleship in particular (strengths that will be appreciated by readers of Hays' works). I am convinced that many of us who identify more closely with the magisterial Reformers have much to learn in some of these areas. However, I believe that the denial of the validity of Christendom and infant baptism by such groups represents a dangerous tendency (I like Leithart's treatment of some of these issues in Against Christianity). There is always a danger that you can overreact against movements you have grown up within. Coming from a Baptist background, I must acknowledge that they have a number of biblical insights that can be overlooked by people in other traditions. I trust that I will be fair-minded enough to learn from them. I still haven't got down to reading The Reformers and their Stepchildren by Leonard Verduin. Perhaps I might now get around to doing so.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?